Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:41 AM   #1
Default Blurred Background In Portrait Mode????

I am going to get this camera within a few days, but I have a question first. Does this camera blur the background when you have it in Portrait mode? It seems like some of these digital cameras don't do this even in portrait mode. I've seen some pics. taken with the Sony F717 that looked amazing so I was going to get it but it just doesn't feel comfortable in my hand. I've finally decided that I want the Kodak 6490, but have never seen portrait shots taken with it. Does anybody have any examples they could show me? Thank you

jkulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2004, 6:35 PM   #2

you are inquiring about DOF (depth of field). a shallow DOF will have the subject in focus and the foreground/background blurred. I do not know specifically about the camera you are inquiring about, but no camera "automatically" blurs the background.

Portrait mode will decrease the DOF and may sometimes give you the exact effect you are looking for if the lighting conditions are right.

If the camera has some manual settings (aperture, f-stop, ect..)you will be able to get the effect you wish.

Here is a recent thread which may help explain the specifics...if not just do a search on DOF and try adding your camera into the search and maybe you will get someone with your exact circumstance:

PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote