Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 26, 2004, 8:48 AM   #1
Default Newest Member of the Kodak Klub!

Hello All,

Why did it take me so long to buy a digital camera? After deliberating between the 6490 and the Minolta Z2, I know that I made the right choice!

For anyone in the UK thinking of buying one, I found the cheapest price on the internet (from Kelkoo) then went to my local Jessops and asked whether they could do a deal. They managed to match the price, which saved me the concern I had over relying on postage and possible damage in transit. Not to mention getting the camera and dock for the same price as just the camera. One very happy snapper!

I do have a couple of questions though:

Having read many reviews, all saying that the Kodak case is just too small, what case would anyone recommend? I want to carry the camera (with the lens cap on), a spare battery and a spare SD card. I don't want anything too bulky, but I do want to be able to get these things out one at a time.

Does anyone know where to buy the Kodak adapter, wide angle lens and polarizing filter? If so, how much are they?

So far I am perfectly happy with the camera, and it was a real bind having to come to work today. All I wanted to do was charge up the batteries, get into my car and go out taking photos ALL day today!

Thank you for your advice. I look forward to many happy days out with my new toy!

Dazstap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:24 AM   #2

Welcome to the Klub!

For the case/bag have a look at the Tamrac line of bags.
I got the TAMRAC 5742 VELOCITY 2 bag and it is great.
Holds the camera, dock, and extras. Enough room for
the add-on lenses too. And a few pockets on the outside
as well.

As for the adapter, it is due out any day now.

They have it for preorder at B&H Photo

The Adapter is $19.95. The Wide-Angle Lens is $139.95.
There are also a couple of Kodak Filters also.
Just search B&H for DX6490 and you can see what's

Note that the Adapter will have a 55mm thread so you
can use any filters. etc... that have a 55mm thread and
you don't have to use the Kodak filters as they seem a
bit pricey.

JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:22 PM   #3

Welcome to the forum.
Whilst in Jessops you can pick up one of their cases for 8.49 and the camera fits a treat.
I had this case left over from my p/s days and it carries my camera with all straps, lens cover on etc, a spare memory card in it's little plastic case, a spare battery, a mini tripod and a lenspen.
My monopod is hooked up to the case's strap, and the whole lot can fit under the seat of my car.
When the adapter gets here I may have to get a larger case, but for now this case works a treat.
Have fun with your new toy.
Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:58 AM   #4

Search the internet for the adapter & wide angle lens. You can do better than that. I found the adapter for $15 and the lens for $105-$112. I use the 6490 Kodak case & I love it. I fit the camera with lens cap & neck strap attatched, spare battery and spare memory card. It has a special pocket for the battery and the card. I like the soft leather and it feels well made.
rtif1 is offline   Reply With Quote