Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 PM   #1

Hey all,

Just received a belated B-day gift of a 55mm red filter for my 6490, I have a c-polarizer, and love it. I have been mainly shooting B/W shots, and had always wondered if yellow, orange, or red filters would give me more stunning contrasts with my B/W shots. Well, a friend gave me one and I couldn't wait to try it out. I only had time to snap a few shots off, and I started in Auto mode (with less than desireable results),and quickly moved to PASM and played for a few more shots. I have mixed feelings with just my initial 'trial',some of my shots appear as though I will be able to fine tune great shots (as with anything I guess), however others looked like the camera may have had too hard of time dealing with the filter.I will be playing more seriously this weekend and trying to figure these things out, but just was wondering if anyone else had tried something like this with their's.

Any advice/suggestionsGREATLY:idea:appreciated!!!

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2004, 3:39 AM   #2

You will find the red filter handy at times, but the one you really need if shooting b/w, is a yellow one.

I have this old book about filtersand have found it on Amazon as well. (which you can read some of the b/w part for nothing)

A worthwhile investment.

All the best.

Cold Snail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2004, 1:53 PM   #3

I don't know how well it would copare to actually taing a shot in b/w with a red, cyan or yellow fileter on the lens, however there's a free photoshop plug-in (also works with Gimp, my own weapon of choice when it comes to working with digital images)called B/W Plus. Here's the description from the site:

"Digital Lens FX : A single Photoshop-compatible plug-in filter for quickly turning your colour images into greyscale, but with the added option of using a coloured optical lens filter as you would in traditional B&W photography. The different colours will change the tonal range during the greyscale conversion : for example, a red filter will lighten the red, magenta and yellow areas plus darken the green, blue and cyan in the photo"

Available for free for Windows and Mac at:

There are some other very good plug-ins form cybia too, especially in the Fotomatic section.

pixeljuicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2004, 8:06 AM   #4

Thanks guys for the valuable information. I'll look into the book AND plugin. Thanks for the quick responses too. Now I just gotta go play with it huh?

DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote