Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 8, 2005, 7:23 PM   #21

I took some sample outdoor pics today and must saythe results have beengreat. The daytime sunny photos of palm trees, plants, buildings, allcame out all sharp and beautiful (though got to admit I did notice somebrightnessoff theflower leaves; this is due to using the flip-up flash). Overall, I'm quite pleased.

I think this camera is a keeper. To all those who are concerned about lack of image stablizer (rightly so), don't fret.Ifyou do decide to purchase this camera, get thefirmware update (it takes less than 2 minutes to download from Kodak), whichwill help you take better pictures. The updated autofocus isvirtually precise in well-lit areas (dark and night pics are a different story). You just need to practiceholding the camera still when usinghigher level zooms and/or thefull zoom. It has worked for me so far, but if you find yourself still shaking a lot, then I will say go ahead and purchase a different Kodak camera and/or a different camera with an IS built into it (such as the Canon S1).

To Brian:I followed your advice regardingthe bluecastin the background issue and it worked! (I set the ISO up to 200 and set the white balance to daylight. I still see some shadows behind the object, though. I guess this is normal).

To OKcomputer: in regard to the speed of the lens, perhaps I mispoke. I meant to say the retraction speed (as well as when you turn on the camera to extend out the lens)is faster with the Canon S1 model, at least I think so. But I'm not complaining; I just presumed the retraction speed should be quick, like the Canon's. FYI, I do hear a little interior noise when it retracts and extends - normal?

So I guess I'd be best off purchasing a sandisk sd card then, right?I'm going to assume that it's not goingto matter whether I use the regular ultra card, ultra II, and now, thenew"extreme" card.

Well, I hope to purchase my card soon, perhaps on Ebay. As I practice more later this week, I will let you guys know what went right and what went wrong.

Thanks again everyone!

mblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 11:23 AM   #22

the only thing about getting a "regular" SD card and not a "highspeed" one is how you get the pictures from you camera into your hard drive.

i use a USB SD thumbdrive that also takes Memory Stick and MMC cards.. it is much quicker than using the camera, and it's less of a hassle to hook up than finding my usb cable and plugging into the camera and then turning it on and so forth.

also, i use Picasa to organize my photos and it won't delete pics from the DX7590 - but it will delete them from my thumbdrive.

having a high speed card and a card reader can speed up the dumping process by a huge amount.
okcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 5:42 AM   #23

Depending on the camera, the video recording duration might be limited by card speed. I don't know how the 7590 compares to my Minolta DiMage Z1 in that regard, but using a 1st-generation SanDisk card my buffer fills up in 17 seconds and recording stops but with a high-speed card it will record until the card is full. Shooting still pictures, you probably won't notice a difference.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote