Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1

I have a Kodak DX7590 and looking to get the wide-angle lense for it. I have seen a few posts regarding it but was interested if anyone else had any more info.

Few Questions:

How big is it?

Do you have to have the adapter / step ring to attach it? If so, how does it work?

If you use a polarizer, I assume it fits between the lense and the step ring?Does it produce darker images?

How much does it weigh?

I assume it makes the camera a little tipsy, can you shoot without a tripod?

Any other specs would be great.

I have seen a few pics comparing with and without the lense (the pic in the photo shop). Does anyone else have any other examples. I would most likely be using it for architectural photography and landscapes. Any other tips would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance.

kmehrtens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:04 PM   #2

I have the wide-angle lens for the Kodak 6490 and am very pleased with it. The lens is quite wide - almost 4" (actually the glass is closer to 3"), and is fairly heavy.

I really do not recommend using a polarizer with this lens as you will get vingetting because you should be in the widest zoom setting to take advantage of the wide-angle lens. That being said, Ihave actually done this, and so long as you'reprepared to do some cropping later on, itdoes give yousome control over the lighting.

The lens adaptor is a typical screw-in type that attachesat the point where the lens extends from the bady. You cannot see the threads (they're inside) but they're there. Also, though it is heavy and makes the camera lop-sided, there is no need to use a tripod so long as the lighting is good.

My personal feeling is that this is a very good lens. It is a good investment for the Kodak cameras. There is some barrel distortion, but not as much as from other lenses I've seen. The Schneider-Kreuznach glass is of very high quality, so there is little purple fringing or chromatic aberration either.

I hope this helps.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 2:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the good input.
kmehrtens is offline   Reply With Quote