Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:17 AM   #1

Hey ya'll

I just got my new camera, and i am trying to take pictures for someone to use as a large print. But when i take the picture in best resolution it gets hard to see when it is made bigger? How do i fix this?

Thanks for your help

sxp8397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2005, 9:52 AM   #2

Hi Sam. How big a print are you trying to make? What program are you using to enlarge the print?

My guess is that the image is showing as 72 PPI and you are keeping that resolution when you set the print size.

The largest 11 X 14 crop you can get from a 5Mp image is about 175 PPI. That makes a nice print and I don't resample. For a 13 X 19 and larger I usually resample a 5Mp image. You might as well go to 300 PPI if you are doing a resample.

What you don't want to do is leave the "Resample" box checked with the PPI set at 72. Or resample the image in such a way that you are getting a PPI below about 150.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:49 AM   #3

sxp8397 wrote:
It gets hard to see when it is made bigger? How do i fix this?
Kodak has a pretty good explanation of print resolution at http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Just to confuse things, there's little or no correlation between print size (and resolution) and screen size, unless your picture's resolution is very, very low. You can take your 2,560 pixel-wide photo and make it so tiny onscreen that you can't see much of anything. Or so large, you have to scroll sideways / down a heck of a long way.

That's because picture viewers, photo editing programs, and EasyShare all have viewing zoom levels. Most easy-to-use programs just automatically zoom so that the picture fills the screen width and height. Every picture will look the same size on screen.

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote