Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 16, 2005, 10:57 AM   #1

I just bought the 7630 and am very satisfied with the camera itself. I wanted something that I could adjust where necessary and am not disappointed. I would have liked to be able to adjust the focus, but to be honest, the AF seems to do a great job.

My only criticism so far is the lame documentation. I'm sure that the Kodak marketing people wanted this camera to be as simple to use and understand as possible for the casual user, and I think the documentation reaches that market. But I'm finding that the manual doesn't come close to explaining what is available or how to get to certain functions. For instance, Flash Compensation is greyed out in C (custom) mode. The documentation says that FC is unavailable if the flash is set to "off". but in C mode I can't turn flash to "on". I've done a word search on the PDF file and flash compensation isn't covered anywhere else.

Also, on P21 of the documentation, it mentions that "some settings are unavailable in some modes." I found this out by looking for white balance on the menu when in "auto" and couldn't find it there - I thought there must be a different menu or something. I also couldn't find it on another option (maybe SCN?). I finally stumbled across the setting in another mode and grabbed a pencil and paper to write down which mode I was in and how to access the setting.

Bottom line is that I've spent several hours trying to figure the camera out and am finding that that's pretty much what you have to do to understand the functions. Then, you need to remember what you learned.

I'm in the process of developing a simple table to show what's available and how to find and implement the function. But it seems with such a versitile camera there would be some reference for how to use it other than trial-and-error.

Anybody know where to get a better description of the functions. I've read Steve's and Imaging-Resource's reviews and they help some.
lbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:14 PM   #2

Trial and error. That's all I did with my DX7630. It's a good camera for sure, it's just something you'll have to experiment with.

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote