Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Mar 22, 2005, 8:14 AM   #1

By experimenting with shots of a neighbor's clapboard house with a bare-branch mountain ash tree just in front, I've discovered that the best final picture results come from photos taken with the "low sharpen" setting.

The shot gives mea bunch of straight horizontal and vertical lines, plus totally random high-contrast lines. The random lines are from the tree branches against the light colored house. There are also extremelyhigh contrast areas between the light window sills on the house and the windows, which are practially black.

By far the fewest edge artifacts and sharpening shadows come from the pictures at the low setting, followed by unsharp mask filtering in a photo editor.

Camera is the DX7630 set at 6.1 MP, fine compression.

I understand a number of Nikon models have the lowest in-camera setting as the default -- maybe this is why? Dunno.

DGehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2

Duly noted and saved. Again good info. Being new to digital photography every little tidbit and scrap of info on this forum is going into my Dawg pound data base. Or otherwords known as D: Newfolder3.

Thanks Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote