Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 23, 2005, 4:28 AM   #1

Hi! I can't stop thinking about the abundance of possibilities the new digital cameras give to us! I agree- to be serious about photographing one should learn the basics and start using the Manual mode. But I can't tame with the thought of dismissing the amazing advantages Auto and Scene modes give. Digital cameras require to set a bunch of settings before shooting and isn't it wonderfull to have the oportunity to get prepeared your camera for a particular job with some pushes of buttons instead of entering numerous menus and figuring out the best settings for the given situation? I apprize highly my DX7440-it has unbeatable package of features, but it can distract me too.

Example#1. I have learned, that for Landscape shooting best are the higher f-stops (4/5,6/8). So I made 2 landscape test shots-1 in full Auto, the other in Scene- Landscape. I expected to see different Aperture settings in EXIF data- lower (f2.8/3.4)in the Auto mode. But in both modes it was f/2.8!.
Sorry for so much text. I'm too serious:G

Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2005, 6:19 AM   #2

Hi Maris

I can't be certain of course, but I wonder if the Kodak programmers thinking goes something like this:

The Scene modes are targetted at someone moving on from just using auto all the time - getting a bit more adventurous in their picture subjects, perhaps.

In that case, shooting in Landscape (we presume) sets the focus distance to infinity (as does the Landscape button, we are told).

Assuming that a landscape style subject would tend to use the Wide-Angle end of the zoom range, we are shooting at a focal length of 5.5mm (I believe 35mm equivalents should be ignored here...)

For a 5.5mm focal length, focussed at Infinity, the Depth of Field at F2.8 goes from about 7 Feet to Infinity - if the aperture is reduced to F5.6 (say) then this is roughly halved down to 3.5 Feet - but of course, the Shutter speed is then 1/4 of what it is at F2.8.

(For a handy way of appreciating DOF provided by all types of cameras/lenses, I recommend the tools at http://www.dofmaster.com/)

My guess is the priority for the programmers is to keep the shutter speed up to minimise camera shake or subject movement and assume that having things in focus from 7ft to infinity is acceptable - then if more light becomes available at that point reduce the aperture.

I suspect that they assume "advanced point/shooters" aren't going to examine their results closely/critically enough to worry about the improvement in image quality that the smaller aperture provides - that's one of the things the Manual modes then allow for...

Just my thoughts/guesses - having said all that, I'm also an advocate of using the Scene modes to provide shortcuts to a series of settings (rather than manual+menus) for more advanced users...

IanMiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 6:41 AM   #3

Thanks, Ian! I see that my question about Landscape mode aperture settings arose from my lack of knowledge- in this case about DOF. Sorry for troubling, seems I am starting to think I'mwise too early. I'm glad to share the opinion on Auto/Scene modes and I think not only to me- the newbie.:?So may be I will edit my topic not to laugh at me.:G
Marinjo is offline   Reply With Quote