Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Sep 7, 2005, 2:33 PM   #1

Can someone please advise if it is worth using the fine compression setting vrs the standard compression for general photography. The vast majority of pictures will be printed in 4x6 format with the odd one being enlarged to perhaps 8x10.

I have been using the 3.1 MP setting.

spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2005, 3:59 PM   #2

Spud, I use std compression. Awhile back Coldsnail did a very good test comparing the differences. The conclusion was we could not detect any difference, so why bother with fine. However I shoot everything in 5mp....you never know when that one pic will be the one you want to blow up.

dan279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:27 AM   #3

I have noticed the same as well except for one thing IMO, it did make a small difference when printing on a good photo paper as the detail did stand out a bit more or could have been just the quality of paper I used not sure.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 9:04 AM   #4

I would use the fine setting anyway. You justdon't know when you'll get that shot that begs to be printed. So why chance it?!:|
sredd68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2005, 12:38 AM   #5

I've found that on my DX7630 that a 6.1mp picture in fine compression blows up much better than the standard. If I want to crop a small portion of the picture, it makes a huge difference. Anyway, my two cents... if you have the space on your card why not just put it on fine anyway for that little extra kick.

Will.Blaschko is offline   Reply With Quote