Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Nov 23, 2005, 7:04 PM   #1

Got my P880 today. I opened the box and the first thing you see in it is a note with the corrections to the user guide!

1 - Last burst mode: User guide says aprx 2.3fps, it should be corrected to 1.5fps

2 - First burst mode: User guide says 3 RAW images, it should be corrected to 0!

I wasn't happy at all! These are not typos. Shouldn't they correct the user manual and/or the web site (which states that burst rate is about 2fps). Thanks God there was no correction stating that camera can only take 5MP instead of 8!

I didn't have time to test it thorughly. However noticed the following (which I guess is just repeating what other users have said before):

1 - It takes quite some time to write thepicture to either internal memory or memory card. Maybe I have a 40X Lexar which could not be that fast, but it is supposed to support writes at6Mbps, and a fine Jpeg is only 3Mb. A picture taken at fine 8MP Jpeg will take about 5 seconds. It is true that you can keep taking pictures while the previous ones are still saving, which will decrease the shutter lag a lot, but this is limited to the number of images that can be stored on the buffer. Than you have to wait 20-30 seconds.

2 - Manual focus is unusablebecauseofthe low resolution on the LCD.

However, I am not sure if I want to return it yet. I will try to take some pictures and hopefullyI will start likingit because of the picturequality.This is my firstdigicam, maybe they all behave the same.
aaliko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2005, 6:36 PM   #2

I must say I was surprised too, but like other camera I tried the LCD's just don't have enough res. or if they do they're 1.8 or smaller!!!. But the view finder has more than enough resolution.

Burst mode is still pretty good and I've been getting7-10 shots per burst!!! both modes. If it's any help, in Fine I've never hit the buffer while taking several snapshots in a row.

I use an Extreme II 1GB card and writes are very quick. Using my stop-watch it took about3-4 seconds to write a RAW 8MP pic, just under 2 for jpeg Fine. Not fast but good enough for my needs.Burst mode (both) takes about20 sec to clear.

It really is and has been a fun camera to use and lets you be very creative. Give it a month and you'll keep it.

I've owned mine for just over a month so if you have anymore ???? let me know. I check in daily.
Thomasmeisch is offline   Reply With Quote