Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Dec 2, 2005, 4:05 PM   #1

I have read good things about this one, like its size. Any other comments about it?
03_fjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2005, 5:04 PM   #2

I just picked up a V550 a few days ago.

It is very similar to the V530. It has a larger LCD, an optical viewfinder, and a slightly different user interface. Otherwise it works the same.

The camera has a very good color (white balance). It is one of the best of any camera out there.

Some people might say the contrast and saturation is too high, but the picture look very good printed right from the camera.

The jpeg compression is much higher than other cameras. This could mean that if you like to post process pictures, you might have artifact problems. I have not noticed this as a problem.

There is very little manual controls on the camera. I find this a plus as opposed to a negative. I want a point and shoot camera.

There are many scene modes, that automatically adjust the camera to the proper settings for the scene. This makes up for some of the lack of manual settings.

One feature that I find very useful is the hand icon. The camera examines pictures, after they are taken, and displays a colored hand icon based on the sharpness of the picture. Blurry pictures get a red hand, good pictures get a green hand, and in between pictures get a yellow hand. The hand is an indication of how well the picture will look if printed at 4x6.

I also like the ability to capture pictures in 3:2 aspect ratio.

My initial impressions so far, are that the camera takes very good point and shoot type pictures. You do not need to worry about setting ISO, Whitebalance, apeture, etc. Just pull it out of your pocket and take pictures.

The camera seems speedy enough. Although, I think that it will not perform very well at continuous shooting mode. You will not get too many pictures before the camera slows down. Some reviewers have reported this.

Also, the battery life is bad. I think it is the worst of any camera out there, in its class.I have not gotten a second battery, but I think I will need one.

Overall, I would say it is a great camera for people that want to take pictures, not play with their camera. The pictures are very good right out of the camera. No post processing required.

Hope this helps
gawettla is offline   Reply With Quote