Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old Apr 6, 2006, 3:26 PM   #1

I wonder if anyone could confirm if what I am seeing is normal or not. When I take a video with this camera and I use the zoom, the video is out of focus for ~1second or more right when zooming. After one stops zooming the focus eventually returns (regardless if the camera is in continous AF or "one-shot" AF).

Is that normal? I find it very annoying and am considering if it is ok or not for me.

Otherwise the 23mm lens alone makes this a very cool camera...

Example videos that somewhat show what I am talking about:

http://www.df.lth.se/~matsf/pix/2006-03-30/100_0072.mov (5.1Mbyte)
http://www.df.lth.se/~matsf/pix/2006-03-30/100_0058.mov (8.7Mbyte)

matsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2006, 3:29 PM   #2

I can appreciate the concern.

What kind of computer do you have and what are its attributes. Since the camera provides a 640x480 30fps image, it does require a solid processor to handle all that data. I suggest trying the movies you take on a system in a store or at a friends that has a powerful system. See if that makes a difference. If not, you can move ahead some can try something else.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 8:54 AM   #3

I've observed the same characterisitcs you are concerned about. The zoom motor moves very fast and the focus does not "catch up" until you the zoom stops when it rapidly locks on, as you point out.

I think you have to build limits into the video to get the best results. For example, you can control panning (moving left to right or right to left) but not the speed of the zoom. One thing I do is position myself so that the motion "appears" to move side-to-side and thus appear to get closer. That way I can pan and minimize the temptation to zoom.

The movie zoom limitation something you have to live with, I'm afraid. On the other hand, one thing I like about this camera (and a few other Kodaks) is the mpeg-4 codec rather than the jpeg codec. The mpeg-4 codec has much higher compression and permits much more video to be saved on the camera, depending on the size of the memory card. The jpeg quality isn't so superior to compel me to give up this feature. This factor was important to me such that it outweighs the annoyance of the irritating zoom. I bought this as a camera that takes decent stills but has the capacity for longer videos rather than the other way around.

Hope this helps.

bobr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2006, 1:19 PM   #4

Thanks Ron and Bob,

as Ron also have seen the "issues", it is clear that it has nothing to do with the computer it's played on (BTW, my computer is ~1year old with 1Gb of RAM). Too bad.

I wonder if Kodak could slow down the zoom motor during video mode with a firmware fix. Certainly would make the camera more attractive to me.

I have also found another issue/bug with the video mode. Sometimes the date stamp (for the video file on the SD card) get's wrong on Movies. It seems to happen more frequently when the video has been edited (split) in the camera. My workflow is that I always put the SD card in a card reader and use "breezebrowser downloaded" to move the pictures into a folder which has the date as the name. This seems to work fine ~50% of the time for the videos. Certainly looks like a bug to me (I'm a SW/HW designer). Maybe that could also be fixed in a firmware release (I have the new 1.02 version).

My comment on the video size is that I do like the mp4 compression, but I would have voted for a little less compression on both videos and photos. That would have made this camera even more attractive.

Thanks for your input.

matsf is offline   Reply With Quote