Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Kodak

Old May 18, 2003, 9:59 AM   #1
Default Trying to pick a Digital Camera

Hello all,

I have been trying to pick a Digital Camera (first digicam) as a gift for my anniversary. The camera will be used for the first time on a Cruise to the USVI. I know there will be a mixture of lighting conditions and some will be in very low light. I have a strong back ground in electronics but have not kept up with the Digital Camera world and feel lost! :?

The cameras I have been looking into are as follows:
Kodak DX-4330
Sony DSC-P72
Fuji FinePix 3800
Canon PowerShot A70
Nikon CoolPix 3100

I really only care about the picture quality and lack of noise. I will not be using the images for e-mail or anything like that. The purchase will be made with a Dye Sublimation 4x6 photo printer. My wife does a ton of scrap-booking and I hate paying for 1 hour photo and film. If anyone knows these cameras and has a true opinon of picture quality I would be most thankful to hear your response. I have downloaded a ton of sample pictures from "Steve's Digicam", The manufactures web site, and "MegaPixel.NET". Sure they all look great but will I be able to reproduce that level of quality :?:

I also don't care about the movie mode of the cameras (I am a purist by nature) and have a camcorder for that. I just want great prints and the fewer settings I need to deal with the better. My wife has no desire to learn about the settings and features. She trully needs a camera she can turn on and take pictures. The information I have seen about shutter lag, photos of sporting events, and of detailed night shots has me very worried about the choice to buy a digital at all!

Please help a man trying to provide a great gift to his wife

The Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2003, 10:30 AM   #2

Just a general tip:

get whatever camera way before you go in this trip and _learn_ how to use it. I got my first digicam in feb of this year, and I'm still learning with it.
macleod76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2003, 4:40 PM   #3

I have a DX4330 myself and am very satisfied with it in terms of picture quality and features. My only gripe is the flash which is too small to be useful in many low light situations. Also too small at times to work as a fill flash in bright sunlight.

I have got good results with low light, nevertheless, and it takes some experimenting with different conditions.

Whatever camera you finally get, be sure you experiment a lot with it to see which are the best settings for different lighting conditions. After all, the best advantage of digital cameras is that you can see pictures immediately and nothing is lost if your pictures come out bad. You can always try again.
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 6:17 PM   #4

any of those camera's will print a 4x6 print that will be the same as a film camera or atleast very close. Also it is cheaper and better to get your prints done at a place such as walmart. Having a photo printer is nice for the print you need at the moment. The kodak is a decent camera, and it is easy to use. Your wife will be happy with that one. and yes the picture examples in their native resolution on steves site examples will print nicely
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote