Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:04 AM   #1
Default Image resolution

Question folks, I am shooting with a Dimage 7, when i look at the properties tab of the images taken, it states that the resolution is 300X300 and when I open it in photoshop it opens at 72 dpi ? I don't get it?

jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2003, 8:16 AM   #2

Ignore the dpi from the camera, the resolution is correct!

The dpi only applies to printers down the line from Photoshop, different cameras tag each dpi differently... My 990 tags the pictures @ 300 dpi with even less resolution (and my 10D tags them @ 180 dpi instead).
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2003, 10:21 AM   #3

The DPI is only important when printing, as noted above.

If you open the "Image Size" dialog, you should note that while the DPI setting is only 72, the "print size" is humongous. That's a five MP camera, I think, so it should be 35" or so on a side. (I occasionally have to beat users about the head and shoulders when they don't check DPI and print out twenty or so pages each containing a hugely enlarged section of a picture.)

The easy fix is to define a Photoshop action (which you can then batch on a whole folder) that changes the DPI to 300 or whatever it is that you want it set to. It is CRITICAL that you turn OFF the "Resample Image" checkbox when you record the action. Otherwise it will try to interpolate to preserve the print size and you will end up with a 300DPI image which is 35" across. This will give you a gazillobyte image and probably freeze up your computer. Then just run the action: what you should end up with is a file *exactly* the same numerical size (no change in resolution) but which prints the proper physical area.

St. Marc
stmarc is offline   Reply With Quote