Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 10, 2003, 8:38 AM   #11
Default Aperture range and step

There's one thing I didn't find in Z1's specifications:
aperture range (I mean the minimum aperture)
and aperture step (in AP mode, for example)
Does anybody know?
Thank you
m_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2003, 11:28 AM   #12
Default Was going to get an S50, then this happened....

This camera looks real good to me.. I can forgo the 5MP on the S50 as the 10x zoom on this thing is really attractive. If the street price is going to be around $450, then this camera will belong to me as soon as its available.

Most of my pics will be posted on a website, with some of the better ones printed on either 4x6 or 5x7, with some going to 8x10... so, I don't really need the 5MP.

The only feature I would have liked on this camera is the AF assist lamp...

When are we going to see this camera in the US?
RowanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2003, 4:46 AM   #13

There are some sample images online.

M-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2003, 12:55 PM   #14

This camera sounds fantastic (not to mention that it looks cool too! )... I can't wait to read some hands-on reviews.

One thing I'm looking for is good low-light capability (primarily indoors without the flash). Can anyone hazard a guess on how the Z1 will do in this area, based on the published specs?
flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2003, 6:42 PM   #15

Hi All,

The more I look into it the more I like this camera. My primary interest is shooting pics of my son playing hockey. I could use a reality check on my thinking regarding the following features/Specs from Minolta.

“UHS (Ultra High Speed) continuous advance: Approximately ten 1280x960 frames in one second"

10fps is very fast burst mode on a camera in this class but is the cost in pixel resolution worth it? Would it be safe to assume crop and blow up opportunity is lost for pics taken in this UHS mode?

"Standard continuous advance: Approximately 1.5 frames per second"

Highest pic size for this camera is 2048x1536 at 1.5fps is useless for action shots. So I don't see using this mode at all for hockey.

That said, here's what they say about standard image capture times...

“After focus has been locked, the shutter-release time lag is 0.06 second, comparable to a 35mm SLR film camera.”

I had always figured I would have to pre-focus shots even in burst mode to get reasonable shots of the action. Now .06 secs is very fast, most in this class of camera are .2 or .3 right? So does this faster capture time allow me to run a faster shutter speed at a given aperture translating into sharper cleaner images?

Also, isn't ISO the only other factor that has an affect on the kinds of shots I want to take? This camera goes to ISO 400, the new Kodak goes to 800 but won't my settings be 200 at most? Looking at some of the test shots in earlier thread seemed to show 400 or higher as much too grainey. And doesn't the image capture time of .06sec allow me to set a lower ISO number?

Appreciate any comments or opions on this, including whether you think this camera will handle the kinds of shots I'm interested in. I don't intend to print anything larger than 8X10.

Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2003, 8:04 AM   #16
Default Date for a full review, USB 1.1?

I'd like to know when will the full review of the Z1 be available.

I dare not buy it without some information on the quality of the pictures and so on (well, it's true the camera in not available yet).

Another thing I'd like to know is related with the USB connector. It seems to be USB 1.1, which is slightly outdated and will limit file transfer speed. Now, since I'm no expert in digital photography maybe I'm being unfair, but isn't this option by Minolta a little bit petty? Or is this pretty much standard on this price range?

psargaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2003, 12:54 PM   #17

We just got a production A1 so I don't suppose the Z1 will be too far behind but I don't have a definite date on it yet.

As for USB 1.1 - just buy a USB 2.0 card reader and save the camera batteries.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2003, 3:06 AM   #18
Default Minolta Z1

Hi, I'm going for long-zooms & the Z1 may well be my 1st digital camera. Here's a question if u can help out...

Using the convenient Program shooting modes, the Olympus C-750UZ has a <Portrait-Landscape> mode while for the Z1, we can only select either <Portrait> or <Landscape>. Does this mean for the Z1 we need to manually adjust Av if we want a better depth-of-field?

huiwinsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:07 AM   #19

I was interested in Minolta Z1. I downloaded user manual from Minolta and I got the answer to all my questions.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2003, 2:52 PM   #20

I got mine today - 9/19/2003. I ordered this via Ritz Camera online on 8/30/2003 after reading Steve's review.

My first few impressions of this (strictly novice)- (about 1 hour inside the office):
1. it is a lot smaller and lighter than i ever expected (I've used my parents HP 850 often - Z1 is smaller and lighter).
2. it is extremely simple to use, once i figured out how to turn it on - just push the big button below the LCD.
3. the zoom is great.
4. video with audio is real cool (but i haven't moved it to a pc yet.)
5. menu's are very easy to follow.
6. I haven't needed to open the manual yet.
7. it came with 4-aa batteries, so i was up and running in minutes.
8. i bought a 256mg SD card with the camera, but it came with a 16mg.

So far I'm jazzed up, no complaints. I'll have to update later once I get this home and connect it to my pc.

-New Z1 owner
dudeman is offline   Reply With Quote