Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 25, 2003, 9:44 AM   #1
Default Konica KD 500Z or G500

From my understanding these are the same camera just the G500 is the new minolta version. I am able to get both of these for the same exact price which should I get? Is there a difference?
valerieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:00 AM   #2

No, they are not the same. The Konica KD-510z (not the KD-500z)is the same as the Minolta G500.

The KD-500z is the older model. Although the KD-510z uses the same body size (different colors), 1/1.8" 5 Megapixel CCD, Control Layout and Lens; the KD-510z represents a major overhaul in the feature set.

The new KD-510z includes user adjustable ISO speeds (50, 100, 200, 400), user adjustable contrast, sharpness, saturation, color (separate adjustments for Red, Green and Blue Channels), and more -- all tied to user profiles.

It also includes a new manual exposure feature, noise reduction on exposures 1/2 second or longer, and longer exposures (up to 15 seconds in manual exposure mode).

Now, having said all of that, I've found that the KD-510z takes great photos using the default settings anyway. I have found no need to adjust contrast, sharpness, saturation, color, etc. Also, the flash is powerful enough so that ISO 100 is fine for indoor photos with flash (I've started leaving my KD-510z on ISO 100 for all photos anyway).

So, if you don't need the manual exposure mode, or longer exposure capability with noise reduction, or the need to shoot at higher ISO speeds, the KD-500z is a great choice (especially if you can find one at a bargain price, compared to the KD-510z.

http://www.Megapixel.net has a good review of the older model KD-500z. You'll also find a review at http://www.steves-digicams.com for the KD-500z.

Also, a firmware upgrade is available from Konica-Japan for the KD-500z, improving it compared to the models that were reviewed (if you buy one, let me know, and I'll find send you the firmware upgrade links and instructions (they're in Japanese, but the upgrades are multi-lingual, supporting English, too).

Both are great little cameras.

Before locating the newer KD-510z in July (I bought a Japanese Model with no warranty), I gave strong consideration to the KD-500z.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote