Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:52 AM   #1
Default Problem with 512MB IBM microdrive and A1

I've just bought a A1 and it says in the manual that various size IBM microdrives (including 512MB) are compatible. When I insert the microdrive and power-up the camera I get a "Card unusable" message on the LCD. The manual says if I get this simply format the card but the "format" selection on the LCD menu is grayed out.
Is there another trick I need to do?
Or perhaps my microdrive is just bad.
Any suggestions would be appreciates. Thanks in advance....
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2003, 6:29 PM   #2

Microdrive is a Compact flash type II card as you may know. It is always better to check the compatibility of microdrive with your camera before you start using microdrive. If your camera is Dimage A1, it is compatible with microdrive.
It could be the microdrive which is defective. Thanks.
toyosys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2003, 9:16 PM   #3

You might also try to format the microdrive with your computer, and then see if your camera can *use* it.

If it can, reformat the MD with the camera before taking any photos.

Make sure you format the MD as FAT16 (although I think the A1 can use FAT32), but with FAT16 you will be safe, regardless.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2003, 4:08 PM   #4

if your PC can see the microdrive, the A 1 should do the same. So it is with mine (A1 + magicstor 2 GB)
helmut-online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2003, 7:38 PM   #5
Default Mocrodrives are notorious

for failing. They are actual spinning hard drives. If you drop or bang one I guarantee it will be unusable. I dropped one and in searching for a possible repair on the Net, I found a newspaper
Web site. The head of photography detailed how many Microdrives had failed. The went to smaller CF cards. When a medium size CF failes, you are out a small amount of money. I went to all 256MB CF's. If one breaks, no big deal. I have dropped a couple but none have failed. Yeah, most likely it's your Microdrive.
stevecohan is offline   Reply With Quote