Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:02 AM   #1
Default Second thoughts on the A1

I think I'm ready to buy a new A1, but after reading a couple of postings, I am a little concerned about being able to use it as a "point and shoot". Any thoughts or advice?
I am also looking at the Oly 5060, would this be a better choice for a family friendly camera?
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2003, 10:26 AM   #2

I recently bought an A1 - and can confess I'm pretty much an amatuer. Contrary to some of what I've read here - I have found it to work GREAT as a point-and-shoot. In fact - so far - everytime I take it out of manual mode to try to make things better for a second shot - when I later compare I find the auto-shots much better (this is probably just me needing more experience).
I have gotten great shots indoors with (and without) flash, great shots outdoors during the day and at night - all in auto mode. I went to a dance recital for my daughter the other night - took pictures at 7X zoom without flash - and the pictures came out great - using the Anti-Shake all bluriness was removed from most shots (never could have done that without a tripod with my SLR/point-and-shoot film cameras nor previous digital camera without a tripod). I also love the continous auto-focus mode - I just line up my daughter's face in the cross-hairs and hold autofocus till I get the right angle or smile I am waiting for.
With 5Mpixel, 7X optical zoom, the antishake, and the two auto-focus modes - I feel this camera works great as a point-and-shoot.
The other camera I had considered was the Nikon 5700.
csd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2003, 12:40 PM   #3

This camera works great in full AUTO mode for someone starting out but you pay more for this camera because of it's great ability of customization and maunal capabilities which is what you will want to learn to do to take the best photographs. If you want a simple point-shoot and never intend to do anything more, the Kodak Easyshare cameras such as the DX6490 would be a better choice.
dvoiselle is offline   Reply With Quote