Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 26, 2003, 5:46 PM   #1
Default Settings on 7i taking action shots

I wanted to know from those who take motorsport/moving at speed shots...

In an ideal sunny day, taking shots at a motorcross motorcycle track, what would you be setting manually, can you give me the numbers you would set.

or just generally, action/sports shots on an ideal sunny day, the general custom settings.

Thanks alot.
tphss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2003, 6:09 PM   #2
Default Try Shutter Priority

Try shutter priority. I see good action shots from about 350 and up. The majority are at 500. I do everything else but the shutter set on auto and get some good moving shots. Also try panning with the subject. Experment to see what works best for you.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2003, 6:52 AM   #3

If it's a sunny day I would in addition to hst's suggestion of fixing the highest shutter speed, put the camera on manual focus and relies on the Depht Of Field (since your subjects is always at a preset range of distance)... Without having to AF the camera is much more responsive and will react instantly to the shutter release!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 6:51 AM   #4

My variation of the above is to use shutter priority but to lock focus and exposure at a likely place with the "spot" button and then wait for the action to come to me.
elied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2004, 4:31 PM   #5

I find when pictures count, that relying on AF can let you down. Even taking party pics with flash, the multi flash burst might not always get focus lock or might lock the near point in a distant wide shot. So I agree with NHL - fix manual focus and use depth of field.

HOWEVER, watch out if your focus point and DOF change on zoom (which they will). Be prepared to reset manual focus after using zoom and of course DOF reduces considerably as you zoom in! I don't know about the 7i, but some cams set on auto ISO will ramp up gain and noise on shutter priority. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote