Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 1, 2004, 5:34 PM   #1
Default Minolta Z1

I've been using the Z1 for about a week now and love this camera.
The zoom works great, as do all the rest of the features. The thing I like best is the price, for $400 bucks you get alot of features.

I also own an Olympus D-450 zoom 1.3 Mega Pixel and A Casio Exlim EX-S2 2.0 Mega Pixel, which also just purchased for quick snaps. Also a Canon AV-1 35mm and a Canon T-90 35mm.

Within a weeks time the Z1 became my favorite digicam.

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about, like said for the price it's alot of camera!

Takes great pictures too! :lol:
dthrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2004, 5:21 PM   #2

Having just compared 4 cameras before deciding on the Z1, its clear that just because a camera has an 'auto' mode, that pictures will be perfect everytime..

We compared
Oly C750
Casio QVR40
Fuji F700
Minolta Z1
Fuji 610

we took pictures on all cameras of the same subjects, then compared, and it was clear that indoor low-light pictures are hard for all the camera's.. most looked awful, with the odd stunning one..
This included the Z1.. the funniest thing for me was the fact the Fuji F700 focus locks instantly in low light due to AF Assist, yet took some of the worst photo's..

I think perhaps some people are buying the Z1, expecting it to be take perfect photo's 100% of the time, but in reality all cameras have roughly the same limitations, and some 'knowledge' is necessary...

Having comapred all the above the Z1 and C750 took the most stunning pictures, due to the 10X zoom, with the C750 looking too processed with its excessive sharpening, and it was dog slow in comparison..

Now I've had the Z1 for a week, I am learning how to deal with low light, I don't blame the camera for it needing some care in these conditions, all my other digicams suffer the same issues.. but at the end of the day, with a little knowledge and experimentation, its possible to get good pictures on most cameras... the Z1 is no exception, and that 10X zoom really helps make some stunning photo's...
phil-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2004, 12:00 PM   #3

I'm about to buy a Z1 because I'm looking for a good picture camera that gives me some good video too (640x480x30fps). But I saw some reviews and reports complaining about noise and sync problems when recording movies. Did you notice something related ?
By the way, is the movie quality ok ?
atg@brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2004, 7:48 PM   #4

I am also about to buy a Z1 and would like some feedback regarding the questions in the previous post.
Mr Joshua822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 8:07 AM   #5

1) Noise with movie is coming from the autofocus. Can be disturbing with low sound scenes. (I.e. indoor). The autofocus can't be shut off but the sound can be. In this case You can use the OPTICAL zoom!!!

2) Sync-problem depends almost from the speed of the SD-card and at 640x480 30fps. At lower speed ther'is no problem. Of course if You shoot a movie directly to the mouth of people You can notice the problem a little more.

3) This is a photocamera and not a videocamera. The quality is much better as many other cameras and You get VGA-resolution.

My tips. Check if is made in Japan or Korea. Many of quality-complains came from "Korea-made" product.

I bought mine at the end of sept 2003. I'm using many times every week and I'm very satisfied but:

1) Read the user manual
2) Read the user manual again and
3) Take many shoots to learn the camera.
Adwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:58 PM   #6

Am I the only Z1 owner who has not had video sync problems when running 640x480 30 fps? I'm using a MMC card too. The only reason I could possibly think of that would be causing me to not have problems is the fact that I am using a mac. So since that is not an issue with my camera, I love it. I do wish the autofocus worked a bit better in low light and full zoon situations. I do wish the body was made out of metal instead of plastic, and it used cf cards instead of sd/mmc. Also (this is just my oppinion), I wish that it didnt use AA batteries. But, other than that, it is a gret camera.
tsiawdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote