Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jan 6, 2004, 4:19 PM   #1
Default dimage Z1, fix for sound lagging in video?

I contacted Minolta regarding the problem of sound lagging in video mode on the Z1, and being able to hear the focus motor. They deftly ignored my question about the focus motor (I personally think one ought to be able to lock focus during video if desired; sometimes I know I want to focus at a constant distance for a long time (i.e., at a concert)).

On the other hand, they said that using a higher speed SD card fixes the video/audio sync issues. Does anyone know if this is true? The only card I used was the one that came with the camera; it seems odd that they would include a card that was too slow for the camera's abilties (then again, it doesn't seem odd at all when one considers the usual practice of including the smallest and cheapest memory card they can get away with)
bob877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2004, 5:11 PM   #2

If they're saying the sound video lag is affected by card speed, then what they're really saying is they didn't put in a big/fast enough camera buffer memory, to make sure the sound and video could get processed in sync, independent of card writes. Have you tried reducing video resolution in movie (if that's possible), that will reduce buffer overload and prove the point, but then your pics won't be as good. Is the Z1 doing MPEG or JPEG? Usually it's JPEG+WAV, but if it's MPEG there are other issues to do with sync.

Motor noise is a common problem due to the use of omni electret mic's in a compact camera body. The solution is an external jack for a compact rifle mic, if you want to start drilling holes! VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2004, 6:49 PM   #3

The format is quicktime, beyond that I don't know much about it aside from the fact that in general I despise quicktime (I would much, much, much prefer to see avi, mpeg, or best of all divx (though I imagine divx would require prohibitive amounts of cpu power on the camera's part, though 5-10 mb./min. for high res video would be awfully nice), but video was not the main reason I bought this camera of course).

That having been said, there's no facility to attach an external mike that I'm aware of, and I'm a bit wary of drilling holes in the camera (at least until the warranty expires :P ).

I changed the resolution to 320x240, and the problem was not as pronounced but it was certainly still noticeable. Other sites have said that this is only a problem at 640x480 30 fps but I can discern it in lower resolutions as well.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Default sound lag with video

The SD card speed does make a difference. I purchased the Panasonic Super High Speed 256MB SD card with my camera ( 10MB/s ) and have noticed no significant sync problems between audio and video in movie clips. Make sure you get the 256MB card as the 128MB is only 2MB/s and is not fast enough.

Hope this helps.
lexluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2004, 1:24 AM   #5
Default thanks!

Thanks! I'll remember that; Minolta only said "fast" SD card but not how fast, looks like now I know. I appreciate it!
Old Jan 14, 2004, 3:20 AM   #6

On the other side Sony F828 (more expensive an Z1) at 30fps will "work" only with a specific card.
I read too that with CF type II is working well. I'm using a 256 Mb Viking (write 2.8 Mb) and I get at 30 fps 2'55" max and some delay.
At 15 fps it's difficult to notice it. I made several tests with speaking directly on the front of the camera. If I take a group it's very difficult to notice a delay at any fps.
I'm very sensitive to this problem because I find "unsink" often on movies too.
foffodc is offline   Reply With Quote