Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Feb 22, 2004, 6:46 AM   #1
Default Z1 Problem

Hi All

I got my Z1 only yesterday and after 25 shots, when I turn on the camera, the lens ejects and then retracts immediately. If I open the battery compartment while the lens is still out (and I have to be quick with it) and then close the battery compartment and press the power switch, the camera comes on and works normally. Very strange indeed, I've tried different batteries, memory, no Luck. Anything similar happened to somebody else maybe?

dolgad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2
Default Happens on my Casio XV-3

The same thing happens on my Casio XV-3. I have to open the battery compartment, let the battery pop out for a second and then close the compartment. If I could, I would have returned it but it was purchased in Japan. Shipping/processing from Canada would have been pricey.
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 5:01 PM   #3

do you like your z1 and what your pics like?
hotdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 2:14 AM   #4

Same thing happened to me. In my case, it was 2 days after I received the Z1.

I sent in the camere to Minolta. They fixed it for free, minus shipping to Minolta, and I just got it back today.

My original problem went away but now I have "chatter" being recorded in movie mode.

I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what's next.

I do like all the features of this camera and the price is second to none but construction is barely acceptable at best.

Good luck with your fix.

fun2live4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:36 AM   #5

I think that chatter you are hearing in movie mode is the focus. It is totally normal and the only way to get around it is to record your movies without ant sound.
tsiawdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6

I'm hoping not to start any kind of battle by saying what I'm about to say, but I've gotta say it being the opinionated S.O.B. that I am...

Consider taking your Z1 back.

I like Minolta. Their "A" and "G" series of digital cameras are well-built, and take excellent photos. But if you go to the store and take the time to examine the Z series compared to the others (handle each of them, push the buttons, etc.) I think you'll agree that the Z series feels like they're made of cheap toy plastic.

I know someone who manages a camera shop and he's had several of these come back either because they broke, or the person thought they felt to "cheesy" after playing with them at home and returned them for a different model. He is very leery of selling them to people unless they buy an extended warranty to cover what he said are, "things you KNOW will break on it with heavy use". I took one home for an evening and trust me - I'm a big time camera junky, and I would not own this camera. This is just my personal opinion, and I am not telling anyone they must agree.

It's a shame because the zoom and movie modes are excellent. I just feel the build quality of this series if far below a good standard, and you could do much better with another in their line, or another makers.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote