Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Default A2 flash problems

Just bought my A2 yesterday and so far have been quite happy with the camera even though I haven't had a chance to take many pictures yet.

However I have noticed very poor flash exposure when taking low light portraits using the P or AUTO modes which surprised me. The subject (not background) is moderately to seriously underexposed (the histogram is bunched in the left quarter, with nearly no pixels in the right quarter). I tried varying the ISO as well as WB but results were similar. The shutter speed is around 1/50 to 1/60 sec so don't think sync is any issue. Also the subject is within 5 feet. Flash mode is set to FILL-FLASH and ADI-FLASH control.

Odd thing is the flash exposure seems properly exposed on non-human subjects. For the human subjects with the flash down, the exposure is fine (but of course there is too much blurring from the slow shutter).

Night Portrait mode is fine, but the shutter speed is a little too slow. I know I can always use the flash exposure compensation or set the camera to Manual, but it seems odd to me that the A2 would have so much trouble giving proper flash exposure specifically for human subjects using the P/Auto modes.

Does anyone else have this experience or is there something I am setting wrong (believe most setup options at default)? Thanks in advance for your input.
Thutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:54 AM   #2

I'm having the same flash trouble with my A1. I've yet to have someone tell me what it could be. :roll:
PatoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:57 AM   #3
Default The flash is not powerful enough

You really need a hotshoe flash with the camera. The flash of the camera is not powerful enough to give consistantly good shots.

It only has a 12.5 feet max range at wide angle and much less at telephoto. That makes it difficult to really get a good indoor shot.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:51 PM   #4

I just purchased an A2 also and experienced a simular problem with the flash. I found that I needed to give the flash expsure a 1/3 of a stop increase to get the same results I am getting with my olympus stylus 410. Also I increased the brightness levvel of the lcd, now both cameras give me simular ruslts as viewed on the cameras respective lcd. I have not printed any from the A2 yet, that's next.
mojo004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 10:13 PM   #5

I have the 5600 flash. My A2 will not work with either flash and also has MANY other problems. Return your camera.
stevecohan is offline   Reply With Quote