Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:21 AM   #1
Default DOF table or calculator for Z1?

Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time creating shallow DOF with my Z1.
Is there any kind of table or calculator to see which settings to apply to have a fading background?

magicphotoworld.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2004, 5:43 AM   #2

Depth of Field is based on Aperture, Focal Length, and Distance to Subject.

Bear in mind that because the sensors in Consumer Cameras are very tiny, compared to 35mm film, you can use a much shorter focal length lens, to get the equivalent focal length of a 35mm camera. Your sensor size is only 1/2.7" (.37"), and your lens focal length range is only 5.8mm - 58mm.

Because of the very tiny sensor, manufacturers can make a very small "super zoom" model like the Z1, because the lens can be smaller for the same equivalent focal length, too.

That's also why DOF is MUCH greater with consumer digicams.

So, you must decrease your distance to subject, and increase focal length, as well as using a larger (lower F-Stop) aperture -- much more so, compared to shooting 35mm.

See this handy DOF calculator, and use the actual versus equivalent focal length of the lens to see depth of field for a desired subject distance and aperture). I don't see the Z1 listed, but you can use a different model with the same image circle/sensor size. Plug in the Olympus C-740, and you'll see the same DOF specs as for the Z1.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote