Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 30, 2004, 11:43 AM   #1
Default Focussing and the A2

What am I doing wrong. Every once in a while a photo I take with my new A2 is out of focus. Not by much - but noticable.

Just now I took a picture of stones in a field - uploaded them, slightly out of focus. Went outside and did it again - perfect. I'm sure I didn't do anything different - but what is the correct technique here ?

Its very irritating.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 7:28 PM   #2

I also suffer focus problem, it takes for ever to make a reliable focus point. Got to take several shots , to make a focused one. Complex thing, inspite of its HDVF, theres nothing to check the sharp focus. Is there any way to compensate this?

Ser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2004, 9:36 PM   #3

I also have 10-30% out of focus shots with my A2. Some things you might want to try:

1) Change to Flexpoint focus (hold down the center of the scroll button until you see the crosshair). Camera will now focus on this spot, instead of randomly trying to select some point in the scene. So focus lock (half-cllick) on your subject, then compose, and click.

2) Don't zoom after you focus lock, changing the focal length requires you to refocus.

3) Turn off continous AF and grip sensor in the setup menu, some people claim this contirbutes to out of focus shots.

4) For shots where you have the time, use Direct Manual Focus to double-check/fine-tune the focus before actually taking the shot as even with the above the A2 focus is sometimes off.

You may also want to check the dpreview.com forums, there's a lot more discussion on A2 focus issues.
Thutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 12:38 PM   #4

Your focus problem is not an isolated case. Check out this review.>>>look for the image quality section.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 2:23 AM   #5

Don't see much about focussing problems John, just stuff about the lens"showing its age", which is strange as I didn't think lens technology had advanced greatly in the last few years. I've come to the conclusion that you can't rely on single reports like this. It may be individual sample variation, experimental error, bias etc. A recent report on the 8080 in theAmateur Photographerwas almost completely bad, from the handling and ergonomics down to image quality (poor resolutionas ifthe fine detail had been "smeared in photoshop like the rest of the 8Mp compacts except the A2. Save up and buy an E1 instead"). Having read quite a lot of reviews I suspect that they're all a bit similar in performance (apart from the obvious design differences), with the Sony having the most PF being the only consistent conclusion. It would be interesting to conduct a blind test to see if anyone could actually tell the difference between photos taken with each camera.I suspect not. Digital cameras have now advanced to the point that reviewers have to pore over the shots with a microscope to find fault. The bottom line is that these cameras are for most purposes as good as an SLR in quality - with the obvious differences that they don't shoot high ISO and you can't change the lens.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 9:28 PM   #6

try manual focus, flexible focus, and EVF zoom to see if what you think you have is what you have.

dmjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote