Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 30, 2004, 10:10 AM   #1

OK, so I take a portrait-oriented photo. In playback mode, it shows up sideways. No problem, a quick press of the down button fixes that right up. If I then zoom in on the pic, it takes a second because it's writing to the memory card. No matter what, it retains its new orientation on the camera, but as soon as I copy it to the PC, it's back to landscape. What gives?

I guess I should note that I use a card reader to copy photos. Perhaps it would retain orientation if I hooked up the camera directly?
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:13 AM   #2

The manual doesn't mention what the camera actually does when it rotates the image for viewing. Apparentlyit only rotates it for in-camera viewing and does not rewrite the file to maintain this orientation when you download the file and view it on your computer. You can rewrite the file to perserve the orientation you want with your computer software but, like any image manipilation, you should save the original file and don't overwrite it with your changed one.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2004, 11:14 AM   #3

When I import pictures from my Z1 to my powerbook (OSX Panther), any rotation on the camera is preserved, so apparently something is carried over.

If you're not seeing it importing via the card reader, try using the camera directly.

Although as with Puck, I never use it, because i don't know if they've impemented a lossless rotation algorithm for the jpeg. Instead I always rotate it once its on my computer with a known algorithm.

[edited for speeling]
stcanard is offline   Reply With Quote