Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 11, 2004, 9:00 PM   #1

I notices that the Z3 will have a 1/2.5 inch ccd sensor. Isnt this too small for good quality photos ?

I read the july tech note posted in this site which says thathigher megapixel on a

small sensor can produce increase noise and reduce quality.

The artical says most camerar are based on a 1/1.8 inch sensor and for some of the higher megapixel cameras manufacturers are using a larger 2/3 inch sensor (x1.5 larger than 1/1.8 inch). Minolta sticking with 1/2.5 inch seems like going in the wrong direction.

Z3 seems like it has all the features I a looking but photo quality is the most important factor. Anybody wish to comment on how important factor the smaller sensor will be ?
alg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:01 AM   #2

That's the same size sensor as the Z2, and it is somewhat noisier than others, but I find it to be quite acceptable.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 1:55 PM   #3

The other "Super Zoom" models (Panasonic DMC-FZ10, Oly C-7xx series, etc.) also use tiny sensors.

This lets manufacturers build smaller cameras, because you can use shorter actual focal length lenses, to get the same 35mm equivalent focal lengths, compared to models with larger sensors.

That's why a 35mm camera needs a dramatially larger and heavier lens to get this kind of focal range.

Noise is higher from the smaller sensors. However, if you want a small form factor "superzoom" typecamera, then this is the price you must pay to get it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote