Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:34 AM   #1

Konica-Minolta Japan has posted new firmware for the Konica Revio KD-510z.

Babelfish Translation:

As most know, this model is being sold in the U.S. as the Minolta G500.

The new firmware version is v3.38a. The old version (and only one released for the KD-510z) is 3.00a, so they've skipped quite a few numbers before releasing this one. Note that they did the same thing with numbering for older Konica models, too (big jumps).

Konica-Minolta has not released the G500 specific firmware (yet), but I suspect that it will follow shortly in the U.S.
I will be installing this firmware later today.

As we all know, sometimes manufacturers don't let users know everything done in a firmware version, so I'll try to conduct a few tests (low light focus, etc.) to see if we can get a better idea what this firmware upgrade really does.

I'll also check to see if the Auto ISO bug is fixed (camera uses ISO 50 with flash off, but reports ISO 100 in EXIF).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:18 AM   #2

Initial Observations - New Firmware v3.38a

I only installed this a few minute ago, and only snapped a few pics, but here are a few observations:

* Auto ISO now correctly reports ISO 50 in the EXIF when flash is not used, and ISO 100 when flash is used.

* Last Fixed Focus Choice used is now retained when powering off the camera. In the past, the camera went back to autofocus mode upon powerup (although most other settings were retained).

*Focus lock seems "surer" indoors (although, I should have conducted some controlled tests before and after). I do not get an audible focus lock indication, as mentioned in the babelfish translation (unless the translation is lacking and/or I'm misinterpreting it).

Edit/New Observations:

* With the original firmware version, the camera allowed the use of internal memory for photos taken at 640x480 resolution. With version 3.38a, internal memory is not available, unless you remove the memory cards (SD and/or MS) from the camera.

I never used this anyway (especially since it was only useable at 640x480), but I thought I'd pass on the observation

* According to the description translated by Babelfish, Memory STick Pro is now supported. I have no way to verify this.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote