Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #1

I'm going to resurrect an old chestnut - does the Z series suffer from a bias towards yellow?

A couple of threads here have dealt with this possible 'feature' of the Z2 (although I've only just spotted them). Having looked at as many sample images from Z2 users, I noticed that many of them have 'sandy' looking colours. I loaded a lot of them into PSP8 and ran them through iCorrect's EditLab tweaking software and found that I could produce much more natural looking versions by letting it knock out some of the yellow. This is one of the reasons I didn't buy the Z2.

When the Z3 was announced, I was keen to see if this 'problem' had been corrected. So downloading as many samples as I could (thanks guys) I looked at the colour balance andin my opinion it's still 'off'. Digitician's macro shots are great but the greens are too limey. Rolxng's images show it too - particularly the later sunnier ones. Some others posted on dpreview (IIRC) are quite dire, one shot in Hong Kong looks posively drab.

I would love to hear fromZ3 owners if they have recognizedthis 'problem' and if so then have they found a way to force the Z3 to produce a more natural colour balance.

I really want to buy this camera but this colour issue is putting me off. I have played with the Panasonic FZ10 and was impressed with its zoom and AS, the colour is as close to perfect as I can tell (although exposure is another matter) but it's more expensive and uses a propietary battery format (and it's getting hard to find anyone with one in stock now that the arrival of the FZ20 is imminent).

Cheers, Clive
Clive Egginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2004, 7:15 AM   #2

Unfortunatly, yellow cast was the reason I returned my Z2 back then, despite it's lovely fast AF and very impressive zoom feature. I also find that it's easy to repair with Photoshop, but I prefeare the correct colours in the first place.

Unfortunatly, as far as I can judge from Z3sample pictures thereis still yellow cast present. No go for me...
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote