Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 13, 2002, 4:07 PM   #1
Default Image Viewer Upgrade Cost

I am not one to complain without reason, but the new Version 2.0 Image Viewer cost is ridiculous. I recently purchased the new Dimage S404, in August. I had to wait several months for it to be available from a retailer since Minolta was not initially producing enough units to meet the demand. Retailers were constantly out of stock. I finally received it, but found that it came with the old 1.11 version of Image Viewer. The 2.0 Image viewer came out in June. Now to get the new 2.0 version they want $50. What a ripoff! Why are they charging for this utility in the first place? Especially considering that Minolta uses its own proprietary colorspace, and in order to convert to sRGB you must use their software. This is much like a printer vendor charging for each upgrade in printer driver. Also considering that the old 1.11 version does not operate under OSX for macintosh. In order for me to use this software, I would have to boot under System 9 for each download from my camera. Come on Minolta get with the program and offer this software as a free download from your website, considering that each user already has made a significant investment in your hardware. If you feel the same way, you should let Minolta know by dropping them a line. I already have.

Mike D.
mdamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 13, 2002, 5:31 PM   #2

I agree with you that the viewer should be a free download. No one other than minolta owners really have any use for it.
There are some good programs available now that can embed/manage the color space of the image, so the minolta viewer is not necessary for that, unless you shoot raw images, and even then, there are some other options.
If you want to make prints, I would suggest the AdobeRGB, rather than sRGB, it's color space is wider than sRGB.

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2002, 5:55 PM   #3

have we thought of contacting minolta about that issue. i agree that if you purchased the camera in Aug and the new version was available june you have a fairly solid arguement. :!:
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote