Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 31, 2004, 6:15 PM   #1

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Minolta X31 and was not able to get the camera to focus on night shots. So, I sent it back for another X31 only to find that this camera has the exact same issue.

Does anyone else have a X31? If so does this camera just not work at night? Any help would be very much appreciated!

haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2004, 7:32 PM   #2

The majority of cameras are going to have problems focusing at night. You must have enough light for the camera to see contrast in the subject, and what is bright to the human eye is not to a camera's lens. Even models with Autofocus Assist Lamps usually only allow focusing for closer subjects at night (because the lamp range is very limited).

Looking through the review of your model, it does not appear to have any fixed focus choices or manual focus. However, the night shots don't look too bad from it. So, it may be locking focus to infinity if unable to focus by default (and you have pretty good depth of field with a camera with a lens this small anyway).

What are you trying to take photos of at night? For cityscapes, etc., the shutter speeds will be far too slow without using a tripod (otherwise you'll have a lot of motion blur from camera shake). Your best bet for these types of photos is to use a tripod, force flash off, and use the self timer to reduce any blur from pressing the shutter button.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 8:35 PM   #3

First off thanks for your response.

I wish this camera would focus at infinity for night photos, but it seems to focus near and all of my night photos are totally blurry. I have the Minolta Dimage X20 and it works fine in total darkness, so I'm kind of upset with the X31.

I'm using the camera in a motion sensing system, which must be able to take night photos. I was hoping to be able to move from the X20 to the X31 in my systems, but it looks like this camera won't work at all. I just wish I could turn the focus off some how....

haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote