Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:26 AM   #1
Default What file format for Quality prints? Tiff / Raw / Jpeg

Does one have to use Tiff or Raw for quality prints (8x10 or larger) or can you get by with JPEG. Has anyone experimented with this? I assume iso settings for the digitals play a big part as well.

Ever learning ... David
wcdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2002, 1:29 PM   #2

I believe you'll have a tough time determining the difference between 1st generation jpeg vs tiff. The only good part about tiff is its universal acceptance otherwise shoot in raw, it's smaller (beside more exposure latitude), and you can always get tiff (or jpeg) back with Divu.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2002, 5:47 PM   #3

Obviously the number of images that can be saved to a CF card is a factor. Also saving in RAW format is VERY slow. Cannot shoot action, etc. So JPG seems like the obvious choice.

So I shoot JPG. I have made absolutely beautiful 8x10's from the JPG's and I even did a few 16x20's, just to see how it would hold up. Answer: very well. I was extremely happy with the results of my 16x20's.

I would perfer to shoot raw, but way too slow to save. You end up losing the use of the camera for 20+ seconds. The ONLY reason I would perfer to shoot raw, is that raw is uncompressed. It is not a quality issue with JPG.

I did a comparison of JPG, RAW and TIFF when I first got the camera. Real hard to see any differences until you get to really large magnifications. Even then, both start to break down, only in slightly different ways. Basically, it was a push. Deceiding factor was really file size (and speed).

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote