Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:15 PM   #1
Default canon g3 <-> minolta S404

I can't afford the G3, was going for the g2 but it seems the S404 has most of the features the g3 offers (4MP, 4Xoptical, good construction etc) for the same price as the g2

I wonder if anyone here who has tried both could shed some light as i'm finding it difficult to make a decision.

Image quality is paramount (led me away from the fuji S602)

giov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2002, 7:50 PM   #2

I have a G2.

From what I have read, the only issue I have with the S-404 is battery life. If that is not an issue for you, it seems to have a better set of optics, than the G2.

:twisted: It is cheaper than the G2
rickburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 2:00 PM   #3

I had been under the impression that the G2 was the benchmark for 4mp cameras for the past year-- in pure resolution chart comparrisons the G2 is better (from dpreview.com) It also has a swivel screen and supports external flash and has a better set of fstops I believe. I have the 404 and am extremely happy with the camera and I've only snapped a couple of pics with a friends G2 so I can't really personally compare... the 404 takes cheap nimh rechargable AA's so dropping 4 AA's spare in your pocket can easily get you through a pretty full day of shooting. The 404 also has the 4x vs 3x zoom which is handy. When I bought my 404 it was $430 and the G2 was $700 so it wasn't very hard to decide.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote