Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:16 AM   #1
Default Really want to like the 7hi...

I'm going to purchase a high-end "prosumer" camera by the end of the year (waiting for the slr's to come down in $) & I've narrowed it to the Minolta or the Sony 717. I've been shooting with an Olympus c3000 and have managed some pretty impressive (I think) photos along the way with a pretty cheap kit but I need to step up. The Olympus is slow. Focus in low light w/o flash is really, really tough. No good external flash options. Only 3 MP (not big enough for crops). Noise is a factor at speeds of 200+. Images all require post processing in Photoshop.
A friend of mine owns the 7i (not the hi) and I've handled it a bit. I know I could like it, especially because it feels/looks like a camera. However, he does complain about the ugly noise issue. My limited experience with this camera tells me the focus is fast & great shots can be had in the right conditions.
I've only seen the 707 (not the 717) in the store & wasn't as impressed initially with the overall design & menu system. However, despite the fact that I try to stay away from comparing photos posted on the internet, I have seen some pretty impressive images from the Sony.

I'll be using this camera for people/street shooting & some studio/people shooting. It's important for me to be able to control the focus & depth of field.

So, which way to go? If I'm going to spend the money I really want to step up. Hopefully with less post processing headache.
Not a great representation of my normal shooting stuff but you can check out some of my OLY shots at artgig.com/africahome.html (fast connection/flash player required)

mattkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2002, 12:23 PM   #2

with less post processing headache
Go for the Sony:

but be prepared for the proprietary batteries and the limiting MemorySticks (@ 5Mpixels/128Mb)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2002, 8:00 PM   #3

Just received my 7hi and I LOVE it. Easy to learn and use. No issues and I looked a long while and a a lot of brands before I made a purchase decison. It has many great features and can accept the MicroDrive which is a big plus. Go for it.
DigiCamMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote