Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 17, 2002, 7:47 PM   #1
Default Just bought a 7Hi but...

Ive just bought a 7Hi and although it is a fantastic camera, ergonomically it seems a bit like a second world war sea mine, with bits sticking out all over. I'm particularly concerned with the coated eyepiece and screen, which may rub against my jacket when I hang the camera round my neck.
I would prefer not to carry the camera in a gadget bag.
Could anybody advise me about a case which woild be similar the the cases supplied with 35mm SLRs.
Secondly, I see that the screen and eyepiece are coated, how critical is the coating and what can be done if something touches it.
Finally what is the recommended method of cleaning for these coated parts.
Thanks in advance for your help
Duncan Paton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:06 AM   #2

I have been walking and hiking with a 7i and other digital cameras around my neck extensively without sustaining any damage to either the LCD or the EVF. The only problem I could see would be if you have metal buttons or an exposed metal zipper tha could contact them. You can clean them as you would the lens, but you won't find it necessary to keep them as clean as the lens to still function well.

No reason why you could not use a small 35mm case from someone like Tamrac. Personally I prefer to use a gadget bag for transprotation and have the camera around my neck when I think I will be shooting. So much faster that way.

Hey, just saw a thread by Bill Foust in the Minolta forum on dpreview.com about cases and bags. Lot of suggesitons from other users.
charlibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:31 AM   #3

I hang my camera on the my shoulder with the eyepiece rubbing my hip, and been hiking all over the places even climbing sea rocks in the Carribean. The soft rubber eyepiece finally tore off...

I send it to Minolta, and they kindly replace it even with a better one (harder rubber) free of charge in less than 2 weeks! The included tulip lens shade should prevent anything from touching the coating on the lens, but a thin UV filter should help...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I think that I had a bit of a culture shock with the camera, and I feel a bit more comfortable with it now.
I don't like the coated screen as I am sure that it will be touched at some point and have a fingerprint. The screen on my Fuji MX1700 is not coated and has a toughened finish which means that it can be cleaned with anything. I do not think that it would be possible to remove a fingerprint on the Minolta.
Duncan Paton is offline   Reply With Quote