Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Nov 21, 2002, 3:03 AM   #1
Default Dead Pixels on Dimage 7HI

Just bought a Dimage 7HI yesterday. I took a sample shot with the lens cap on and discovered about 50 "dead pixels".

Is this a defect which is covered by the guarantee or is it not considered as a defect? Any advice?
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2002, 7:23 AM   #2

You should be able to exchange it for a defect free...

However you are getting pretty close of the limit of manufacturing capability (ie 50 x 10-6 defects). The CCD might be defect free after manufacturing, but by the time it get shipped, handled, high-speed placement machines, wave soldered, washed, assemblies, handling, packaged, then shipping again...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:28 PM   #3

If you used auto exposure mode then the camera would have opened the aperture fully and used the longest available shutter speed. This will result in what are called "hot pixels" being seen on the resulting image. These are not necessarily dead pixels and the effect is almost universal with digital cameras, to a greater or lesser extent depending upon brand. Try doing the same thing again but in manual mode with a shutter speed faster than one second and check the result. I'll wager you will be hard pressed to find any "dead" pixels but if you do then you may have a problem. With my Olympus camera there is a built in pixel mapping mode that "disconnects" dead pixels if and when they occur. Browse the various photo websites for articles about hot pixels.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:54 PM   #4

Thanks Richard! In the meantime I have found a lot of information about hot and dead pixels. My camera seems to be perfectly normal. Its just that I still have to learn a lot about digital photography! I also found a hot+dead pixels detection software, especially for the dimage 7hi. If someone is interested in that, I might look for the link.
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote