Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 1, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1

I like to compare your settings and find out what is the 'average best' setting for the A200.

My personal default settings, the rest is standard or depending on situation:

Quality X.FIN, 8mp
Aperture priority

Contrast +1

Noise reduction onISO 100Single-shot AF
Continuous-advance mode
Digital zoom Off
Anti-shake On

redSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2005, 7:15 PM   #2

This is a bit premature as I have only just got mine.
I really like the natural look of the photos - almost film like! On Portrait it is very clear - maybe a touch more colour would help things along - so maybe a tiny +1 Saturation their? As for normal use (I like apperture priority) Normal or Hard for the sharpness - depending on what the subject is. I am not really sold on the vivid setting - but I will hold it in reserve for punchy snaps. So I am trying normal with the +1 saturation which is less than the vivid. I expect +2 or +3 would be similar to vivd - except I think Vivid also does something more.
The flash is too much for nearer indoor shots - so I think -0.7 is about OK
I shall experiment quite a bit before finding my final preferences.
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 4:59 AM   #3

I wouldreally like to set continuous advance together with remote control or timer so that I don't have to press the shutter release with my grubby finger and disturban otherwise shakefree image.

I don't think that this is possible. Any constructivesuggestions will be welcome.

bacs57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2005, 10:11 AM   #4

I use fine and P mode for routine shooting. Obviously, I use xfin or raw when I'm trying to be fancy. In shooting sports inside a gym, I set iso to 400 and S priority to 1/80 or 1/100 with continuous H. Most shots are underexposed, but by prefocusing on where I think the action is going, I seem to be able to capture the action pretty well (first time I've been able to do this - I can't match SLRs though) and intensity and noise reduction can be done in software. I don't know how this compares to the built in sport shooting inside. I keep forgetting to try it. Don't laugh too hard. For routine shooting, I often take hundreds of photos on a hike or at a tournament and can't really afford the disk space of xfin. My choice (and I use xfin mixed in there), but here are some experiements to give a sense of the price I am paying for fine vs xfin. I took three sets of very similar pictures at raw, xfin, fine, standard. Then I loaded the raw image and used jpeg groups jpeg compression to see what jpeg quality corresponded to the given file sizes of the taken jpegs. I found the standards corresponded to between 75-91 jpeg quality; fine between 89 and 96, xfin between 96 an 98.

Best, Cliff
reiterc is offline   Reply With Quote