Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 23, 2006, 6:30 PM   #31

hey all, i just found this little snippet of information on the net thought it might be of interest, The guy was using it on his Z2, although maybe its tooooo much zoom )

"Ok, I found answers :

I went to a telescope/ scope / binoculars store and I tried several scopes and bought one with filtered eye piece so I am able to screw in my Camera with a 52mm adapter that I already had anyways and...

The scope I bought have removable eye piece and in fact the threaded filter is at the base of the scope and an adapter scew in over the eye piece... ... I'll put a picture

Quite a lot af vignetting but by zooming in I get completely rid of it.

THe scope is a WATER PROOF ACUTER ST16 - 48X65A - I payd: 156.00CAN$"

the specs on that spotting scope are

Magnification : x16 - x48 (Zoom)
Object Lens Diameter : 65mm
Focal Lengh : 386mm
Actual Field of View : 2.5-1.26 degrees
Multi-coated Optics

could be good for some wildlife photo stuff tho
brett_dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:05 AM   #32

I can see that working OK as the Z2 is a very light camera. I tried it with the Lumix FZ20 - no chance, far too heavy to be practical and the vignetting of the rather large object lens is rather frustrating. SO... sounds extreme, but I bought a Lumix FX8, ostensibly as a gift for my wife, but with a universal adapter it works very well with just about any spotting scope with a wide angle eyepiece. The trouble with any setup like this of course is that it is just not that portable. Fine for hide work and from the car or with a tripod but it just doesn't make a suitable replacement to a camera with a nice zoom/telephoto which is capable of being hand held (or with minimal support) for mobile wildlife photography. As addition to said setup, yes, I do use it but my rather mediocre spotting scope is the weak link. Problem of course is now being able to afford a decent scope that will complement the Leica lens of the FX8...wonder if the wife would like a Leitz/Kowa scope for Christmas ;-)
Biffo1262 is offline   Reply With Quote