Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:06 AM   #1

Default 7i - Why, Why, Why?

I'm at the end of my rope with this camera, I feel like selling it and buying something cheap that takes great pictures. We had a holiday party Saturday night, I tried setting the ISO at 100 for a few shots, everything else auto, then I just set it a full auto. Not one picture came out, they're either a complete blur, or the ones that managed to not be blurry came out so grainy they look like a 1 megapixel print blown up twice the size. What I want to know is this, why did my friends pictures he took the same night with a 3 MP Kodak come out crisp and clear, beautiful pictures, while mine on a camera 4 times as expensive come out like crap? I know there's a lot of room to experiment, but especially with young kids who has the time. All we want to do is be able to pick this camera up and take pictures and have them come out. Shouldn't the 7i take at least the same quality pics while set on full auto as the cheap Kodak? It's impossible to explain how we feel when virtually all the pictures we take inside are a waste, my wife won't even use the camera any more and went back to our N60. I have no problem with pictures out side, but even using a tri pod and a remote, the pictures are hit an miss, 10%, 90% miss, what gives?
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:08 AM   #2
NHL

It looks like you did not use the flash...

Unlike a point & shoot the D7i will not fire the flash automatically, and would compensate by a higher ISO (ie grainy), and a low shutter speed (ie blurry). it should have warned you of the slower shutter speed with a 'waving hand' symbol when you try to overide with ISO 100!

Unless you pop the flash up, you'll get blurry picture with any camera and not just the D7i regardless of how good the autofocus is... The cheaper point & shoot or Kodak are designed just for this purpose to help new users to photography and prevent them from making mistakes!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:12 AM   #3

Default Of course I used the flash

I used the red eye, in the begining before people came I tried the fill flash, but the red eye looked better
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:21 AM   #4

Did you got AF lock ( beep and brief red confirmation rectangle )before each shot?
Could it be by any chance that you hit the AF/MF button by accident and it was on MF all long?
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 10:42 PM   #5

KCan,
Talk about bad memories! That's exactly what I did when I first got my D7. Accidentally had it on MF and wasn't used to the viewfinder enough to realize it. Missed several wonderful shots of a good friend's kids. ops:
JimHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2002, 11:45 AM   #6

Ditto. Guys! I've found myself in MF quite often accidently. I've learned to check for that.

PS anyone know why the 'notify checks don't show in Win98SE? or is it my browser Netscape 7.0?
cald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2002, 8:53 AM   #7

HI, Just given my 7Hi an extended testing during our 2 week holiday to Florida and I must say I'm not impressed, using flash indoors in a well lit room at 28mm on ISO100, Programmed exposure the camera sets to 1/45 at f2.8 and the resulting photo is very grainy, camera/subject distance is no more than 6 feet, if I zoom in to say 75mm settings go up to 1/90 at f3.5 and resulting picture is fine.

Having took over 400 photo's with it I find that most problems are either it's not quite focused on the centre sbubject or pictures are grainy with a lack of detail particularly on faces in group shots. DUplicate photos took with a 3.3mp Casio QV3500 are in most cases better!. I had an Olympus E-20 before this and was happy with the facial detail (I take a lot of photo's of my kids!) but the slow write times made it unuseable for me.

All photos were taken at full image size and either fine or extra fine resolution.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2003, 11:41 AM   #8

Default D7i Frustration?

Had my D7i maybe 6 months or so. Patience, is what it took for me to get up to speed. Still no expert on it, but learning to appreciate it more all the time.
cald is offline   Reply With Quote