Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 17, 2005, 4:43 AM   #1

I have never had a digicam and I am going to buy my first ever! After years of saving and waiting for the right camera, I narrowed it down to several (Pentax optio 750z, Sony DSC-V3), and finally chose the Konica Minolta Dimage A200! Heres why;

8MP, 7x optical (28mm-200mm), conversion lenses, full VGA @30fps, D-SLR like, Manual controls, Anti-shake system, CF 1&2 cards & microdrives, ISO 200 & 400 is good, and has 800x600 (15fps) 640x480 & 320x240 (30 & 15fps) movie mode with sound and CAN ZOOM TOO!, The data rate is only 1.5MB/s for a 30fps VGA movie (I checked this from a review movie).

Heres what the DCresource review said,

[*]Very good photo quality [/*][*]7X optical zoom lens with image stabilization [/*][*]Full manual controls [/*][*]Good performance [/*][*]Flip-out, rotating LCD display [/*][*]Manual zoom and focus rings [/*][*]LCD/EVF usable in low light [/*][*]No redeye [/*][*]Can save five sets of camera settings to mode dial [/*][*]Supports external flash and conversion lenses/filters [/*][*]RAW image format supported What I didn't care for:
  • Images slightly soft at default settings; high ISO performance is not good; some barrel distortion [/*]
  • Macro mode isn't great for ultra close-ups [/*]
  • I miss the nice EVF from the A2 [/*]
  • No memory card included [/*]
  • Tough competition from digital SLRs
This can be bought for $562 brand new with all accesories from Pricegrabber.com.

I can also get a 4GB (7MB/s) Hitachi microdrive (does this drain batteries more than aCF card) for $170, or a 1GB Lexar 80x (12MB/s) card for $104. Which card should I buy?

Correct me if I'm wrong, THIS IS THE BEST ALL ROUND DIGICAM RIGHT? THIS HAS EVERYTHING I WANT. Maybe lacking in certain depratments, but still the best all rounder.Also, I'm thinking of getting conversion lenses for this. Heres an ebay auction (search for "7508774361") that sells a 2x telephoto and 0.5 for $70;

what do you think? Is this a real lense or cheap stuff? will it work?

Please help me out. Can you recomend a better camera. The DiMAGE A200's price hit my budget limit (~$500), so it has to be around the ~$400-600 range from pricegrabber.com.

Please tell me your thoughts on this.[/*]

Digicamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

Whether its the best digicam of its type would be a long debate, but I do find it is a very good compromise for my needs (where video also comes high). Be aware of the lag between sound and video by the way, it has a workaround but is annoying for some.

I would take issue with the macro point. I personally find the way it is done suits me fine. Being a reasonable distance away rather than 2 inches or so means the flash works fine and subject lighting is rarely a problem. You also have more chance of not disturbing the object.
If you want to go to supermacro and don't mind vignetting, then you can also use the 'reversed lens' trick as there is plenty of space!

Personally I've found the Lexar 80x no faster than my Kingston Elite Pro, which for me is cheaper.

Don't have any experience of extra lenses I'm afraid.

It took me about a month to get used to the A200but I'm very happy with mine.
BUT - don't go by reviews or user comments alone - read all the comments then armed with the information go and try it for yourself and make your own decision - cameras are very personal things and what's a minor thing for one can be a real issue for someone else!

Hope this helps
stk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:09 PM   #3

The lenses are cheap crap. For an idea of what to expect, check out this thread and look at the pictures from the Digital Optics lenses:

Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote