Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 4, 2005, 12:59 PM   #1

I recently bought a Konica Minolta Dimage A200 and am very happy with the results. I have started taking photos in RAW format, and am starting to get used to setting the colour temperature as part of my workflow.

I have noticed a problem with 'as shot' colour tempertaures however. Adobe Camera Raw 2.4, Pixmania RawShooter 1.1.2 and Minolta's own Dimage viewer 2.3.7 all open my raw pictures, but all give me very different 'as shot' colour temperatures.

As an example, a photo taken of a swan on a lake on auto white balance gave an 'as shot' colour temp of 4630 in Adobe, 7050 in RawShooter and 5465 in Dimage Viewer. What is going on? I have the latest version of each piece of software and they all say that the A200 is supported.

I have tried different camera settings and many pictures, but always get very different 'as shot' temperatures in the different software, even when I use a preset white balance.

Can anyone explain this for me please?

little e is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2005, 7:17 PM   #2

I assume that the minolta is giving you the 'best' looking color. Most likely the others are not able to read or interpret the color temperature setting info in the raw file properly. Setting the color temp slider to 5500 should give you the results you want (for daylight/flash pictures).

amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 6:07 AM   #3

Thanks for your response. Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

Yes, the Minolta software does give me the best looking colour.

However, the Minolta software does not seem to resolve the same level of fine detail as the Adobe Camera Raw software. So I now note the color temperature and tint in the Minolta software, and do the conversion in Adobe, manually entering the colour temperature and tint. This is a bit long winded, but gives good results.

I guess that if the universal raw format becomes a reality then problems such as this should be a thing of the past?

little e is offline   Reply With Quote