Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 23, 2005, 2:26 PM   #11

Hi there,

try this: http://www.nikmultimedia.com/index/usa/entry.php

There are some useful informations about sharpening as well as some free demos (PS-or compatible plug- ins, I´m afraid)

Ciao, Wolfie

wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2005, 6:03 PM   #12

If you are planning on printing only by a print lab, the best thing for you to do is to try out the prints just as they are made by the camera. You may find the results to be just fine. This is because the printer reiles on having the Print Image Matching data, which is included in the EXIF from the camera. If you edit the pictures, the editing software destroys the PIM data, and changes the EXIF. This seems to be a cause of a number of problems for people who 'improve' their pictures before printing. If you print at home, you can compensate, but the labs use automatic equipment. I would recommend editing the pictures only if you don't get satisfactory results.

I didn't know that the print lab uses info of the camera other then the visual file…
Before I bought the camera I sent to the print lab a few pictures I downloaded from the internet , and I was totally blown away by the results, the quality was amazing !, far better then what I can get from my Epson home photo printer , and also the price per print is cheaper when considering the price of high quality photopapar and ink needed for high rez prints.

I sent last week 14 shots to be printed on a glossy 20cm X 30cm paper , I included in the prints also processed and just from the card pictures , also of the same picture so I can see what is the difference.
I still did not receive it (the man from the lab called and told me they don't have glossy paper of this size and that it will take him time to order) but when I get the prints I will know better what to expect…

On my monitor the pictures, if viewed sharpened and resized to fit the screen , they does look better.
But if I see them stretched to the pixels size , the sharpening looks like noise , and I loose the fines of small details.

I also asked the print lab for one print on mat paper to see if that affects the quality.

Btw: since I bought a tripod and started using it , my shots got better and sharper for my still life- landscapes photos.
Even the moon came out right ,
here I sharpened it , it looks better more embossed , but it also , now looks flatter and less as the ball that it is, which is worse.

Attached Images
grayart is offline   Reply With Quote