Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 26, 2005, 1:00 AM   #1

From the reviews I've read here and elsewhere, it seems that the image quality is better with the Z2.The Z3's image stabilization and extra zoom (12x vs 10x) are nice but if the image quality suffers, maybe it's better without these benefits.

So, is the Z3 worth the extra $40-50??

Anyknowledgable opinions/experiences would be appreciated!
hc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2005, 3:47 AM   #2

Hi there

I have a Z2 and also thought of a Z3, but the fact that the Z2 can shot in RAW mode with an special firmware (that works 100% OK) was very important for me. If you don't care to make a little post-processing to obtain REALLY NICE IMAGES, go for the Z2; also RAW shots allow you to make more accurate edition, as you have 12 bits per colour instead of the 8 bits that JPG has.

Take a look at this post: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=20&page=1

Apart from RAW the Z2 isn´t a bad camera, and perhaps the difference in price is quite accurate, since 40-50 $ isn´t a big value. In a few words:
- Z2 is less noisy than the Z3 (specially in low-light or night shots), and has a more powerful flash.
- cons are that the Z3 is faster in almost all situations, has the stabilizer, and colors seem to be more accurate (Z2 tends to oversaturate reds more than blues and greens) except in low-light photos.

I think RAW could be a good reason to get the Z2. Apart from this any of them will make you happy.

Mato34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 12:08 PM   #3

Is there any news on the creation of such firmware to Z3. Take pictures in RAW-format is the only thing the Z3 lacks.

Brajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2005, 10:02 AM   #4

I'm sponsoring creation of the Z3 Petition site which is done to let Konica-Minolta know that users wish to have RAW support and few other things. As soon as it would be ready I'll post URL.
sensovision is offline   Reply With Quote