Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 11, 2005, 6:37 PM   #1

I'm in the process of deciding which filters to get for my A200, and I found a good price for a 3-pack that included a UV filter, polarizing filter, and a warming filter. However, I wasn't sure if the filters were multi-coated so I called Tiffen. I was transferred to a rep. who was well acquainted with the technical aspects of Tiffen filters. He told me that Tiffen has stopped making multi-coated filters because in tests they found that the advantage of a multi-coated vs. uncoated filter was a difference of emitting about 1/10th of an f:stop more light which didn't justify the added cost and the ease with which the coating could be scratched off, effectively ruining the filter.
However, I see many people on these forums swearing that multi-coated filters make all the difference in the world; I can't tell if it's fact or just personal opinion. The Tiffen rep. made some very good points, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences from other A200 users (and if their Tiffen filers cause any vignetting at a lower focal length).
mglukhovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2005, 10:54 PM   #2

The greater advantage of multicoated filters is not the amount of light they can pass ( a positive characteristic, for sure), but the reduction of flaring. I would recommend buying a Hoya HMC UV filter ( ~$11) which strikes a good balance between price and performance. I just ordered a standard Hoya polarizer that isn't coated and a Super-HMC polarizer for my brother-in-law so I'll be able to make a comparison.

The disadvantage to multi-coated filters is that they're harder to clean.
Riot Act is offline   Reply With Quote