Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 13, 2005, 8:07 AM   #1

Hi To All- I have the minolta Z3 camera and was wanting some advice on white balance. I have been using it in "Auto" mode. Ihave read thatmaybe you can get better pictures by using the preset modes(Sun,Cloudy,Flash,Tungsten,Fluorescent) Should I change my settings for each situation? Thank you very much for your help.

dekelsey61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2005, 3:54 PM   #2

The short answer is yes, you should use the presets and change the setting according to conditions.

Auto white balance on any digital camera is generally poor for any sort of mixed lighting conditions; especially artificial lighting.

I can't speak for the Z3, but my A1 auto WB fits the description above. The presets for daylight and cloudy are acceptable (most of the time). For all indoor work and critical outdoor work, I always use custom WB.

I have been using a white card (high reflectance copy paper), but have recently learned that copy paper (and most gray cards) are not spectrally pure (don't reflect all colors equally), so I have ordered a Myers calibrated gray card. Another advantage of using a calibrated gray card if you shoot RAW, you can take a gray card shot at any time during your shooting session and use that image to color balance all of your shots (so long as the lighting remained the same). This is often much handier than making a custom WB exposure.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote