Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:24 PM   #1

I'm a hobbyist just graduating into the range of "serious hobbyist" with the purchase of a pro's unused backup camera - a Dimage A2. He'd bought three batteries, the battery grip, and a Hoya HMC 49mm UV filter. I updated the firmware from 1.10 to 1.14 on the first try, no problem. Wow. World of difference in shooting performance. I use a pair of 512MB Sandisk UltraII cards.I don't get any vignetting at any zoom from the hoya filter.

A couple of questions:
1. Has anyone had any luck with digiscoping with the A2? How did you minimise vignetting?
2. Filters. I already purchased a 52mm cir. polarizer and a step up ring, but I think I'll be adding some ND, split ND, and close up lens filters. What size/ attachment scheme have people had good results with? I suspect that 52mm may be insufficient for more than the one filter. What's the deal with Cokin P series?
ShutterCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2006, 2:24 AM   #2

There isn't any way to get rid of vignetting in digiscoping unless you happen to have telecope with exit pupil of 50mm. (equivalent to front element's size of camera's lens)

ShutterCat wrote:
2. Filters. I already purchased a 52mm cir. polarizer and a step up ring...
I think you would have been better with 49mm thin Hoya Super Pro 1 CPL.
52mm step up just moves filter quite much farther from camera's lens while size of filter isn't really much any wider. (which means it vignets more easily)

Especially for multiple filters 62mm would be propable minimum size.
Although Minolta has filter kit with stackable UV and polarizer filters those actually have "built in" step ups and filters front diameter is larger.

Also step up ring itself should be as thin as possible and widen immediately after "male thread", otherwise it's still same "looking through narrow pipe"-situation for camera.

E.T is offline   Reply With Quote