Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 1, 2003, 3:46 AM   #1

Default DiMAGE 5 vs 7/7i/7hi

I am looking to purchase a midrange or upper-midrange long zoom camera (6x optical or better for urban photography). I recently bought a FinePix 2650 on a spur-of-the-moment idea, which I am quite disappointed with. (I bought it because it was the only one in stock at the store I was buying from) Needless to say, I'm staying away from Fuji cameras. I had plans on purchasing a FinePix 3800, but I would like much more manual control. I also have been looking at the Olympus c-700 series (10x or 8x) but hate their abnormally strong chromatic abberation. I stumbled across the DiMAGE 5 a couple of days ago and fell in love with it, for many reasons (control, look and feel, Minolta name, EVF, etc) and I am wondering why everyone here posts so much about the 7 series and nothing about the 5. Is it a bad camera, or are 3 megapixels just insufficient for most here? So many things are common between the two that I wonder why there aren't more people saying anything about it. I have found it refurbished or used for ~500 USD on pricegrabber/ebay and this is within my price range. Please, give me a reason to buy this. (Or a reason not to!)

Thanks
cabasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2003, 8:04 AM   #2
NHL

Mainly the D7 is only slighly more for a higher resolution, as well as the wide-angle zoom (the same ratio on the D5 only goes to 35mm instead of 28mm), but does equate to a longer tele if that's your need.

Also the D7 has been firmware upgraded to almost the same feature as the D7i whether the D5 pretty much stayed the same as when it was 1st released. If you want a Dimage now the D7i is probably the best bang for your buck (~ $650 brand new)!
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=36389#36389

BTW if I recalled correctly, the x4 magnification on manual is not present on the D5 (ditto for the Direct Manual Focusing overide through the focusing ring), as well as the EVF's black and white night vision boost feature of the D7...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:05 AM   #3

To be completely honest, ~650 is just over the top. Hell, 500 bucks is really, seriously pushing it for me. I'm a poor college student, and I have a backlog of things I still want to get. I really don't need more than 3 megapixels, hell, I'm happy with the 2650's 2MP.

As for the wide-angle, I really love that... Damn, maybe I will save the extra 150. They both have EVF's though, correct? And neither of them have enough resolution to fully take advantage of a true manual focusing system like a TTL/SLR viewfinder?

Basically, are there any major problems I should be warned about with the 5? I mean, hell; two months ago I had my mind set on the 200 dollar 2650. Then I found the FinePix 2800 for ~250 on pricegrabber. Then I found the 3800 for ~330. Now I'm at 500!!

Thanks for the reply though man.
Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:10 AM   #4
NHL

Quote:
And neither of them have enough resolution to fully take advantage of a true manual focusing system like a TTL/SLR viewfinder?
... that's where the x4 magnification on the D7's EVF come in. It really works! Normally the picture is just too small to discern any detail for manual focus (on any EVF).

I guess you just won't be getting the features mentioned in above the link on the D5 then.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2003, 1:21 PM   #5

Ok, you win.

I had another person get me to change my opinion, plus I didn't know about that 4x thing. It's a 7i for me.

Only a week's worth of work extra... no biggie.

Thanks dude
Old Apr 1, 2003, 6:07 PM   #6

Cabasse,
If you like SLR style manual zoom and manual focus, the D7i is one of the best choice.
I donít use MF often, but when I use MF, I use the 4X feature.
Very quick and well implant:, Lift your finger and itís 4X to focus manually , Half press shutter to see whole frame and shot.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote