Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 14, 2006, 4:32 AM   #1

I Have just purchased a Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi, which i know is too much of a proffesional camera for me but i have it now and i would just like some tips on how to take some good quality photos of my family both indoor and outdoor. I dont need to know all the techical stuff and would not understand you, i was just wondering if someone could take me through setting up the camera so that after we have done this i could leave the settings , just turn it on and shoot family photos.

Thank you - mark
mark.deary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 14, 2006, 9:03 AM   #2

My guess is that you bought it used and don't have a manual for it.

You can download one from Konica Minolta (it's actually in two parts) by selecting your camera model on this page:

You may also want to read through the review of your camera here, where we go into the features and controls:

Your best bet to start out with is to use the P (Programmed Autoexposure) selection on your mode dial, and let the camera make the decisions for you until you can get a better understanding of the available options and what they are good for.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2006, 10:30 AM   #3

There is a "Pro Auto Button" just in front of the mode dial. It has a big "P" on it. Pushing that button puts you in program mode with default settings.

Refer to the manual and make sure the camera is set for either "Super Fine" if you have a decent sized CF card or "Fine" if you are memory limited.

Everything will work by just pushing the shutter except the flash. You have to manually raise the flash if you want it to fire. I always kept mine in "Fill" so it would fire when I raised it. When you push the P button the flash will go to either fill or red-eye, whichever you used last.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 12:39 PM   #4

Thank you for that advice, my memory card is only 16 Mb Could you tell me what i should ask for or look for online. I Tried taking some photos this weekend using the pro auto button and the photos were fantastic apart from the skyline around the subjects heads was very white, is there anything i can do to amend this ??
mark.deary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5

The D7hi uses Compact Flash cards, and being a bit older model, can't really use the speed of some of the newer cards. I would suggest 512MB or larger (if you take a LOT of ppictures) with a speed of 40x or less. It is able to use the faster cards, but there is no advantage to doing so.

When taking pictures of people with bright sky behind them, it is a good idea to use fill flash, and possibly set exposure compensation down a bit. The fill flash setting is accessed in the menu.

Take the time to download and read the camera manual, and more time experimenting with settings. These are extremely capable cameras, but in order to get the best from them, you have to learn a lot.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2006, 1:02 PM   #6

Now it' true that outside DSLRs just few cameras can write faster but there's still big differences in speed between various cards, especially if you use RAW.

Lexar's cards have been one of the fastest in these 7- and A-serie prosumers so those would be good choise. Even older 40x models would be propably enough but newer 80x models work maybe little faster.

As it comes to size I would recommend at least 512MB considering prices of memory cards.

VTphotog wrote:
*When taking pictures of people with bright sky behind them, it is a good idea to use fill flash, and possibly set exposure compensation down a bit.
And more importanty with JPEG it's better to decrease contrast setting somewhat, sensor itself can capture bigger dynamic range but conversion to JPEG looses some of it because JPEG has only 8 bits per pixel/color.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote