Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 18, 2006, 7:06 AM   #1

I have just purchased a Z6 and am enjoying learning the digital way of doing things, but I am troubled by my camera not being able to focus in my house unless the rooms are lit up fully during the evening or if it is cloudy outside.

I can focus during the day when the sun is shining , but if it is cloudy outside I have trouble focusing on the subjects on the floor away from the windows. Is this normal? Is there a workaround for this.

I understand the electronic fousing is different than on my film camera, but maybe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

raday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2006, 8:25 AM   #2

I assume that you try to zoom in.
At least try to keep camera steady when focusing, non-SLRs focusing is based to contrast of (vertical) edges they find and if picture "jumps" all the time they have hard time detecting when contrast is highest and focus in proper distance.
Especially using long tele in lower light causes challenge for that kind focus detection because lenses are generally considerably dimmer in tele end.
Also using spot focus if camera has that could help because camera might have hard time deciding which one of (maybe not very good) edges it uses to detect focus.

Also lack of good vertical edges causes problems... good way for checking how that works is that if you have Venetian blind in window lower that so that it isn't closed and try automatic focusing such way that there's something on background, say tree. Camera should always focus to object in background. Now turn camera to vertical position and try again, it should always focus to blinds.

BTW, Tele end focusing problems in lower light are common for all longer zoom digicams.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2006, 9:58 AM   #3

Thank you for your reply.

I will try those things. I was trying to zoom in. I realize that the ISO is normally set to 100, is there a way to adjust that to a higher number for lower light conditions or will the camera automatically do that?

raday is offline   Reply With Quote